Sunday, December 13, 2009

Brett Visit: Day 7


Today is Thanksgiving and Grandma’s birthday. Yet again, we get another late start to our morning. We make a pot of coffee and head down to the parade. We had pretty good seats considering how late we were compared to everyone else. In New York everyone likes to wait seven hours before something starts or opens. The parade was pretty cool. The balloons were huge and really neat. We were at the turn and it was funny watching the people try not to run into the buildings as they turned.

There was a man, who squeezed in about eight inches between myself and the person in front of me. So he budged in and I said, “Oh sorry, I didn’t mean to get in your way.” He didn’t say anything back so I said, “It’s cool man, it’s your world I'm just living in It.” Then he moved.

After the parade we started cooking our feast. It was weird not being at home with all of my family and having everyone else prepare the food. Ashley cooked the side dishes and I cooked the turkey and ham. She did very good for having never cooked anything this big. The food was fantastic. We ate so much. And then took the greatest nap.

After we get up Ashley suggests that we take a bus tour of the city. I thought it sounded okay, and was a little skeptical. I thought it was going to be some guy with a monotoned voice telling us boring stuff about the city that no one cares about. So we agree to go and we cannot find a bus that is topless. We wait around for three or four buses and finally find one that has no roof. We start our tour and the guide seems like a good one. He tells us a lot of cool things about the city. It was really cool to drive through the streets at night with all of the buildings lit up and see how old they really are.

The top of the empire state building was lit up red and orange for Thanksgiving. There were so many sights that I haven’t seen until we rode this bus. We went by some of the parks and through most of Manhattan. Then we crossed the Manhattan Bridge going into Brooklyn. This was really cool. We got such a great view of the city from across the Hudson. It was so cool to see the whole city but be out of all of the chaos. I asked Ashley if it was crazy to look over at such a big city and say, this is where I live. This isn’t a vacation. Through the whole tour I was just in awe with all of the things I was seeing and all of the facts the tour guide was telling us. When we got off of the bus I couldn’t believe that I did not want to go. It was such a great experience and I highly recommend going on one the next time anyone goes to New York. Today was a good Thanksgiving full of awesome food and a fun tour. For not having done anything like this before, Ashley and I did a pretty darn good job making quite a feast. I was proud of her.