Sunday, December 13, 2009

Brett Visit: Day 8

After all of the long nights, we do not wake up for Black Friday. I could only imagine what the stores were like. On our tour bus we saw people sitting outside of Best Buy at nine o’clock. The store didn’t open until five! So we head out at around 9:00 am. We did a little shopping and then headed to Macy’s. I finally found a grey coat that I have been looking for the whole trip. And Ashley finally bought some boots. I could hardly believe my eyes. She was in the checkout line and not because of me! We bought everything we wanted and took the wooden escalators to the main floor to head out. This guy steps in front of us and says, “Would you like to complete a survey about your shopping here today?” I'm like no way this is not happening; I just want to get some cool air. I was dying of heat because I had a coat and a hoodie on. And Ashley says, “How long will it take?” he says,” Well it’s a live interview with CNN.” She looks at me and with out hesitating I say “Do it!” You have to.

She gets ready to do the interview, so I call mom and everyone to let them know. I set our bags down and attempt to tape it with my phone and take pictures at the same time. Then some moron decides that he is more important and just stands in front of me and tapes it. I was like really? So I said, “Get out of my way!” He didn’t hear me so I said some things that aren’t worth repeating and he nicely moved out of the way. It was so cool to see her on camera. She did really good. She didn’t stutter or pause and have to think at all. Very impressive. I was happy for her. I couldn’t believe that out of the 500,000 people in this store, she was chosen.

Ashley has to work, so I go out again on my own. My goals were to go to the Air, Space and Sea Museum since I missed out the other day. And I was going to go to the library to look at how big it was. So I head to the museum. It is massive. The museum consists of the U.S.S. Intrepid, the Concord, and a submarine. It was so cool. They had all kinds of artifacts and old equipment and uniforms. They had the control rooms, the sonar rooms, and the stairs were the actual stairs of the ship. It was so cool. And on the main deck they had around 40 jets and helicopters. It was so cool to see them up close. There was so much information to soak in and it was all so interesting.

I spent a little longer than I planned there, so I had to decide to either go to the library or to Little Italy to the cheese deli. I obviously chose the deli. So I head to the train and Ashley gave me her pass that had no money on it. That was so nice of her! As I waited on the train this very attractive girl comes and asks if I live by her because she is lost. So I tell her, “Yeah I just moved here, what's your question?” I gave her the right directions. My parents would be impressed. So I get off at Little Italy and head to the deli. They are supposed to have the best sandwiches. I find my way there and it’s really authentic. The group in front of me ordered 12 sandwiches so I had to wait. Fine with me it was worth it. I ordered the Italian. It was Italian meats with provolone, and dried tomatoes with olive oil and vinegar. It was fabulous. The meats were all in hunks and the cheese in blocks. Every sandwich was cut to order. It was fantastic. I can’t wait to go back.

I walk around Times Square once more while I wait for Ashley. And I am walking to look at a pair of shoes I saw earlier, a pair of grey Nike Shox. I hear something like running water to my right, I look over and it’s a guy standing on the curb peeing in the middle of the street. By now I came to realize that nothing should surprise you in New York, so this didn’t even make me look twice, people just don’t think right in this city.

Then I head to Pinkberry. A frozen yogurt. It was phenomenal. I topped mine with strawberries and white chocolate. It was so good. A perfect treat while I wait for Ashley. I didn’t have it for long because it was so good to take a break from eating it. My dad would have sent me back to New York if I didn’t eat there before I left.

Ashley gets off work and we head out for our last dinner. We go to Arriba Arriba. A restaurant that is known for its abundance of homosexuals. That was a little awkward, but they played good music. We start off with margaritas, I got banana and she got raspberry. They were delicious. We ordered guacamole dip, because I have never had it. It was awesome. Ashley got some enchiladas that were muy bueno. Mine, not so much. I got enchiladas in chocolate sauce. It was actually chocolate. I wasn’t thinking actual chocolate, who does that? Anyway I didn’t eat very much of it. I held out for Max Brenner’s. It was an amazing chocolate factory. I ordered key lime pie in an Oreo cookie crust covered in white chocolate. Ashley ordered some chocolate cake with raspberry filling. Hers game on a platter with a strainer full of chocolate, ice cream and a chocolate shake in a shot glass. It was delicious. Mine was served with a mini old fashioned milk jug full of white chocolate. It was so amazing. We didn’t really talk all that much we were both overwhelmed with chocolate.

Next we head to the bar Snug. It has happy hour from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. It was a chill bar and a lot of fun. Ashley looked like she was about to fall into a coma. And I was pretty tired myself, so after a few drinks we call it a night.