Thursday, December 10, 2009

Brett Visit: Day 4

I finally got to sleep in. I had big plans for the day since Ashley had to work. I was going to do a little shopping, the local stores for meaningless things, walk Times Square, go to the Air, Space and Sea Museum, and visit Central Park.

So I head out for my adventure, I'm all alone for the first time in such a big city. I was a little nervous but I was happier that I could walk at my speed. To start things off it was very cold and the bay winds made it bitter. So I start looking for the little stores for the local shoppers, and in Hell’s Kitchen, there are a ton of stores. NOT!! Not a single one! So I walked all of Hell’s Kitchen for no reason. I did get Ashley a nice wine opener and coffee filters. Next on the list, Time’s Square. I thought that in the day time, it would be less chaotic and I could embrace everything. Wrong. Still crazy. So I didn’t spend much time there, and it wasn’t as neat in the day time. Now I was going to go to Central Park. I didn’t know where I was going and a man stopped me and asked if I wanted to rent a bike for central park. Bingo! I seen he had a map and I said sign me up. I got the map and turned him down on the bike. So I get to the park which was about 20 blocks away. I walk through the park and it was beautiful. I was in awe the entire time. I walk by the amphitheater and I look at a couple on a bench and I pulled a triple take I noticed that they were getting after it. I could not believe my eyes. And people were just walking by like they see it everyday.  So I took my phone out and tried to pull a drive by picture but it didn’t work out. I knew no one would believe me so I tried to get some evidence.

I continue through the park and stop at the lake and it was breathtaking. When I walked through the park I seen so many beautiful sights that you usually only see in movies. The park is big and peaceful. I took the walk ways that cut through the secluded parts of the park and it was so serene. So I start my walk back to go home, and go figure, I get lost. This park is ginormous and I am lost. I try and take a shortcut through the woods…big mistake. I was in central park for an hour and it took me an hour and a half to get out. When I do get out I'm at E. 84th and 5th. Ashley lives at W. 43rd and 11th. I hate my life at this point. I make it back and have a knish from a street vendor. Don’t get them, they’re awful. I took two bites and threw it away. So I get back and walk past the Little Pie Company. I felt I deserved a cupcake. It was the best Red Velvet cupcake I have ever tasted. After I ate that I took the best nap ever. I woke up and rested for a while. Then I took off for Times Square again. I did some window shopping and admired all of the lights while I waited for Ashley to get off work.

I went to meet Ashley after she got off, we headed for some street meat. You might think you show up, get your food, and walk on. This stand was voted best street meat in New York, and he had a line of about 7 people. I thought that was pretty cool. It was lamb meat in a bed of rice, lettuce and tomato, with pita bread on top. They give you Greek sauce and hot sauce with it also. It was incredible. The meat was tender and it tasted authentic. The hot sauce was so hot. I like hot things but this was almost too hot, and they only give you about a teaspoon of it no joke. For six dollars you get a huge platter that is really two meals. It was very cheap. We ate and took it easy since Ashley is running on no sleep and I walked like I was training for a marathon.