Thursday, August 26, 2010

Day 350 - Day 353

August 23 - August 26, 2010

Oh Boca. How you are so uneventful. I'm homesick. I'm homesick from New York. And I'm definitely homesick from Iowa.

The year I decide to move away, is the year everyone decides to plan life-changing events. I'm lucky enough to have been able to be home for them, but the planning process is what I'm bummed I've missed out on.

But guess what happened to me today?!?!?! I got a little gift from the Iowa State Fair!! I received a tank top that says, "Non-Stop Fun - Iowa State Fair" Hahahaha! Love it! AND...okay, here's the back story...

Like I've said, the last couple of weeks, I have literally felt like hell. Like someone keeps punching me in the face. It's awful. All day I kept thinking, all I want is a cookie. When I don't feel good, or I'm stressed, or whatever...nothing sounds good except sugar. I am addicted to sugar. Literally.

But I decide to be good and not get a thing. When I see the FedEx box sitting outside my door, I get really excited because I thought, mom definitely put Oreos in here for me. She always does! Nope. Even better! Iowa State Fair Chocolate Chip Cookies!!!!! Iowans, you know what I'm talking about!!!! Those mini, melt-in-your-mouth chocolately morsels of ooooohhhhhhh yyyyeaaaahhhhh!

So, to basically round out the last couple of days is like this: I've been sick, I've worked both jobs and I've been sick.

Bless Carlyn's heart. She got me Tylenol Severe Cold today--the daytime kind, of course. Well, nobody really knows this about me, but when I take "daytime" cold medicine, I become narcoleptic. It's true. And I know you're laughing. It is funny. But sadly, I randomly close my eyes for short periods of time.

Okay, it's not really narcolepsy, but "daytime" really does make me extremely drousy. Give me NyQuil and I will participate in a ten mile marathon! It's the strangest thing. My body reacts so strangely to medication.

I'm going to end my evening, watching "Gangland." I have this strange interest in gangs. Yes, call me odd, but I do. I always have. I think it's so fascinating the life gang members lead. I'm from a place where we had one African American kid, maybe five Hispanic and three Asians in my high school. I don't have a clue as to what "inner city" or gang member life is like.

So, I started reading books, asking questions, being genuinely curious about the lifestyle that takes place in areas people are not instructed not to go. You'd be surprised at how open people are when it comes to talking about gangs. Obviously, not confessing to anything, but talking about what life really IS like in a world where people aren't afraid to shoot you for wearing a blue t-shirt, or because you're white, black, hispanic, in this gang or that gang.

The things people go through and live with on a daily basis is outrageous! I've met gang members--nicest men you'll ever meet. At least to me. They actually became my "friends," I guess you could say because one of my best friend's dated one. Yea, yea. Not too bright. But I can honestly not explain to you how I loved talking about it with these men. I'm sure they thought, poor little white girl.

I have heard, "Girl, you crazy!" "Ohhh, white girl, you have no idea."

My response: "No, I don't have any idea. That's why I'm asking you. Tell me because this is so interesting to me." And they did. I mean, showing up to school with metal detectors; not knowing if your locker buddy is going to be in school or dead on the street. Drugs being bought at school like a hamburger at lunch time. Just insane stuff!

I asked my college roommate, who grew up in inner city Chicago one day, if I could go to her neighborhood where she grew up. She said, "Helllll nooo! You can't go! Are you crazy?! They will eat you alive!"

So, that was the end of that. Now, I'm in Boca. Black people? Not here. Hispanics? Only mowing the lawns. Sounds bad, huh? It's sadly true. The "Boca Bubble." Enough said.

Note to self: Isn't it funny how when someone tells you their ear hurts, your ear starts to hurt. When your dad tells you, you need to go to the doctor because you haven't been getting better in two weeks, then all of a sudden your massive headache turns into a tornado in your brain? Your brain is a fascinating tool and when used correctly, could be your best friend, or it could be your worst enemy. =)