December 16, 2009
Day 101! I should write a book. "101 Firsts of New York City," or something chotchy like that! Hehe! Like I said yesterday, I have loved every minute of it! As much as I hate somedays, love somedays, and am indifferent on others...I still love it all! What a better way to celebrate my first few hundred days than a visit from a great friend from back home! Caitlin is coming to visit and we are going to have a blast! Food, sightseeing, dancing--you name it, we have it covered!
So, back to today. It's a pretty low key day, which is perfectly fine with me! After my internship, I have a lot to do! Christmas shopping, writing cards, cleaning, etc. Guess what? I didn't really get a lot of it done, either! I'm so tired and burnt out! I can not even tell you how excited I am to come home! I need a break from this place, bad! I actually miss quite a lot about the Midwest. The smells, the grass, Target, my car (esp. now that it's getting cold!), and Midwestern hospitality. I'm about ready to burst. I need to see my family and my friends!
You know what else I miss? I was talking to my friend, Dyanna about this...Midwestern boys. I don't care what people say--men are men, this is true. But there is a difference! Trust me! My friend Greg and I were talking about this last night. He even says girls are different on the West coast (he lives in Utah). Sure, the opposite sexes are obviously very similar, but overall values, morals, and outlooks on life...so different! What are men's morals and values out here, you ask? They don't have any! Their outlook on life? Which life are you talking about? Their married life? Or their single life? They do like to live more than one at the same time out here! I think I have yet to experience a man like this, in NYC anyway, but my boss at the restaurant explains it to me like this...there are four types of men in this city:
1. Have a girlfriend
2. Are married
3. Divorced
4. Just got out of a relationship
What do all of these men have in common? They just want to have a good time. My boss tells me, "If you came out here looking for the love of your life, you can forget about it." Yikes! I've learned this is true. Good thing that isn't my intention and reason for moving out here! ;)
You know what I want? I'm pretty sure I already wrote about this in a blog from when I first moved here. A man who can dance! They seriously mesmerize me! I can't explain it how it affects me. I just fall in love at the first turn or hip swing! Whewey! I'm watching the So You Think You Can Dance finals. One of my managers at work's, step daughter, is Eleanor. She was in the top four! Cool, huh? She's amazing!!!!
Who likes J. Lo's new song? A song about Christian Louboutin shoes. Yes, they are my favorite shoe brand as well, but a song about them? Really? I'm not a big fan, but I guarantee you it will probably be a big hit at the dance clubs! Now, I just need to fork over about $700 for a pair and I'll be set! ;) Yeah, okay...maybe when I'm 60 and my student loans are paid off! ;)
The holidays totally make me all mushy and give me all sorts of warm fuzzies inside. I'm writing Christmas cards and I have small tears coming down my face. Maybe because it's been a rough week or so and I miss home and am ready for Christmas to see everyone. Pandora sappy Christmas music doesn't help either. But it's so good, I don't want to turn it off! ;)
Note to self: When you truly realize how massive of a control freak you are, maybe you should step back and calm yourself. It's not a good thing to want to be in such control that you take on more than your own problems, concerns, and destinies. It may or may not be a problem. A friend sent a text a while back that states, "Love yourself enough to stop trying to control other people. Focus on YOUR happiness and let them figure out theirs." I need to read this everyday. Probably seven times a day. You know you can't control your life, so why are you trying? Stop it! Enjoy the day has been given to you. You might not get the chance tomorrow.
I really need to listen to my own advice, even though when typing this, I'm talking to myself. It's so much easier said than done! I need to practice what I preach!