Thursday, September 17, 2009

Day 11

September 17, 2009

I truly believe coffee is what holds New York City together in the morning. Without it, I think this place would go into mayhem. From 9 a.m. until about 11:30 a.m., about six different people ask me if I want coffee. Caffeine = function-ability, people. I grab a complimentary cup from my apartment before leaving for work--although more coffee would be nice, I don't need the extra caffeine. Those who know me are shaking their heads up and down right now, smiling. I know what you're thinking! ;)

You know what else baffles me, yet disgusts me at the same time? How a city, with so many smells, highlights just one: urine. It seems like everywhere I turn today I smell it. It must be the wind kindly blowing the stench in my face. Nothing says good morning like a fresh smelling dose of pee.

Work is great today. A girl that just irritates the hell out of me (and everyone else) is caught plagiarizing her story. Hmm...for someone who was an editor as a publishing company in London, wouldn't you think you would know the definition of this word? I learnt it in third grade. (Social studies assignment: we won't get into it.) All I'm saying is, next time you want to talk to me like I'm an idiot, check yourself, sister. I at least know journalism ethics.

I am finding so many affordable jewelry stores today, it's fabulous. I feel like I died and went to heaven. I don't have time to go in, but I jot down the names and addressed in my handy little notepad I carry with me. If you ever need to know the best place to get chocolate chip cookies, or see the largest U.S. Post Office you've ever seen, just ask me--I have all kinds of stuff in there.

You know how you've seen something 600 times and you tell yourself to make a mental note of where it's at? You actually think you're going to remember. You don't. I am walking around the same two-block radius, about three times because I swear on my life there's a Bank of America here. I lose hope when it comes time for circle number four. I did probably lose about ten pounds though!

Another calm night, but I'm okay with that. You know how long it's been since I've had "me time?" Probably about two years. It's nice to have, at least for a little while. Other than the fact I think my heat is broken. I have never curled up in so tight of a ball as I did last night. I think my leg hair grew ten inches last night. Not really, but I was freezing! It just likes to blow colder air. So, I'm going to go bundle up in my North Face, a scarf, and some pants, and call it a night. Talk to you tomorrow!

Note to self: You know the saying, "Be careful what you wish for?" Believe it. When you need something to happen in your life to tell a story, always be open for whatever is waiting. Like, getting stuck in your apartment's elevator; or being jammed together by two doors that do not seem to care you are trying to walk through them. Your wish may not always be what you expected, but after all, you are the one who "blew out the candles."