Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 342 - Day 343

August 15 - August 17, 2010

Let me tell you the extent of my Sunday...

Woke up, "rested" a little longer then dove into my FOUR HOUR online driving examination. Everyone, it was brutal! Don't ever break the law! This is the problem: they don't allow to skip ahead after you're done reading the material. So, they give you between 30-50 minutes to complete the reading, but it only takes you 10-20 minutes to do so. So you sit the remainder of the time, watching the seconds tick away!

I actually took this test very seriously. My luck, if I would have been lax about it, the test would have been brutal. The readings kept throwing statistic after statistic and numbers at me. So, I'm thinking, holy crap! This is going to be hard! I take eight pages of notes! No joke. And detailed notes, at that. The final quiz comes and do you want to know the questions?

Ex. 1: True or False. When your brakes give out, accelerate at a higher speed.

Really? Really. I sat and took detailed notes for the majority of my day and you ask me questions like these? And people want to know why Floridians are such terrible drivers.

I am known to Florida's Department of Motor Vehicles as an "Aggressive Driver." See, here's my issue: I don't like to think of myself as "aggressive." More along the lines of "anxious" or "excited." Much better than "aggressive." It makes me sound like I'm nuts behind the wheel! My family...stop disagreeing with me right now.

The rest of Sunday was a bit rainy, so I stayed in. It was nice to relax and not do much.

Monday. I did something I've never done before. Ever. I went with a co-worker to another co-worker's poetry performance. I always heard about them in college and they stressed we go, but I never had any interest. Can I just tell you this show was incredibly motivating and inspiring. I did not realize how powerful poetry really was. These performers were amazing and their words made you wake up and realize a lot about life.

Most people look at poets as different or "strange." Not true. They are intelligent, intuitive and highly witty individuals. I learned about everything from lesbianism to slavery, the world's compositions to politics. Phenomenal. We even had VIP seats that were on stage. I did get nervous once and I'll tell ya' why.

My co-worker and I were maybe two of five white girls at the bar. Everyone was either African AMerican, Jamaican, Haitian, Asian, etc. An African American woman gets up there and the first words out of her mouth are, "If I were a white girl, 'Stupid' would be written on my forehead in red." Then, came the applause. We. just. sat there. We're in VIP where everyone can see us. My thoughts are the following, Oh no she did not just say that. What does my face look like right now? Should I smile? Should I glare? Should I not move? I didn't know what to do! My body got hot in a split second because I got really nervous at the clapping and stares that shot in our direction.

Overall, it was an incredible experience and I look forward to going to more shows in the future!

Tuesday...what can I say about this week thus far? Conclusion: if I had a beach, a cupcake and great new pair of shoes, it would be ten times better!

What has been making my days:


  • Madison sending me videos from the State Fair of Cheese Curds, baby animals, and main street scenery (a slight tear is rolling down my face right now)
  • Dyanna-the numerous text messages I get from her. Together, we are really hilarious. And I'm not just saying that. We make a great pair, if anyone is ever interested in hiring us for a tv show, radio show or anything. I'm just sayin'...
  • Twitter-Enough said...
Tonight, I worked at the restaurant and it's going to be an extremely busy/exhausting week of non-stop working. But it's worth it! Money, money, money! And like I keep reiterating--I love working at the grille. 

Note to self: Definition of Disrespect: "an expression of lack of interest," or "a disrespectful mental attitude." When you determine the difference between disrespect and constructive criticism, you can move forward. Don't let anyone demean your intelligence, experience and ability. It's believed that many people's intelligence isn't recognized because certain people fail to open their eyes and see it. Why do you think that is? I think we all know. 

Realize you ARE smart and with all of the educational and professional experience, you have a pretty good grasp on a world many will never understand. 

Good night! ;) P.S. My one-year anniversary blog is coming along quite nicely! Very excited to show you!