August 4 - August 10, 2010
First off: It's hurricane season. Translation: Rain, wind, wind and wind. I keep thinking someone is trying to break into my house because the wind is knocking something fierce!
Second: O'Anna's Trip. Translation: Fabulously amazing weekend!
O'Anna arrives Thursday and we just hang out and cook at home. She makes a mean biscuits and gravy. Money's tight, so we need to save for the big weekend! It was so nice to just sit and relax with a girlfriend and just talk about life, love and the pursuit of happiness.
Friday comes and guess what? She is the ONLY person to listen to me when I say do NOT stay in the sun longer than an hour! So proud of her! She did bring SPF 70 though. Hahaha! I know, I died laughing when she told me that! 70 proof?!?! She might as well have worn a sweatshirt and baseball hat to the beach. Too funny.
Friday night we head to South Beach (presently referred to as "SoBe" by the locals) for Miami Spice. Miami Spice is an event going on until the end of September in which expensive restaurants offer a $35 prix fixe menu and drink specials. Places that essentially you can't afford to go to on a regular basis, so it's kind of like a sympathy month for people who can't regularly enjoy a night out in Miami! ;) Just kidding. But it's a great deal!
We go to Fogo de Chao--it's a Brazilian steakhouse. Have you ever been to one of these before?? Oh my Lord, it's amazing! I think I've been to one before, but this one is hands down way better! For $35 per person we got the following: endless salad bar that is stocked with everything from exotic cheeses to veggies, salads to sashimi; then 10 different meats and choice of dessert.
At a Brazilian steakhouse, there are servers who walk around with slabs of meat on a tray and come to your table to shave off pieces for your enjoyment. You can eat as much as you want! We also got a bottle of wine...and it was red. I normally don't like red wine, but it was good! I have tons of pictures, but O'Anna hasn't downloaded them yet. So, when she does...I will share!
Friday night, we went out in South Beach on Ocean Drive. Had to show her this part of Florida. We end up at the Clevelander. Such a fun place! Oh my goodness! However, it was so hot outside, every single person was dripping with sweat. So gross. My hair was stuck to my back, sweat dripping down my leg and my face all nice and shiny. Oy, it was muggy! I suppose the dancing didn't help. We were on the dance floor when some obnoxious boys came up to dance with us. Why not?! Let's dance! They ask where we're from.
Me: "Iowa."
Them...in unison: "IOWA?!?"
Me: "Where are you from?"
Them: "Kentucky."
Me...with my traditional excuse me? look: "Kentucky? Like that's much better!" =)
Them: "Hahahaha, you're funny!"
Me: "What can I say? It's too easy!"
Then they mosh O'Anna and I in a circle, Night at the Roxbury style. Then O'Anna meets another guy, in which we stay and hang with him and his friend the rest of the night. I'm tellin' ya' what. I am a terrific wingman! Thank God I can talk to a wall because I was dying with this kid!
First, I get hit on by a gay man...go figure! Who tells me he dated a German model. I'm assuming he's referring to a rather thin, male model who likes to wear briefs and not boxers. Maybe thongs, I don't know. I didn't ask because I was too busy laughing to myself that once again, I get hit on by a homosexual.
Second, I get insulted by a man who is from Long Island (I know, right?) and can't even walk. I'm pretty sure I gave him my look as well. He asked me four different times where I was from. I was from Hell's Kitchen, Iowa, the Upper East Side and Bosnia. It was great!
Third, I end up speaking with O'Anna's new guy's friend. Well, I suppose you could say he stared, while I talked. What's really funny is we went out again on Saturday and my guy turned out to be the one who was a barrel of fun!
Speaking of Saturday--perfect day! Made breakfast then hit the beach! It was the perfect weather. We laid on the soft, white sand then moved into the water. The water was so shallow that we were out about 10-15 feet, still sitting on the ocean floor wading in the water. It was so beautiful. I could have sat there all day. Then we hit Bob's Pizza. It's pretty dang tasty!
Saturday night we hit Ft. Lauderdale. We go to a couple of bars: 1.) Dicey's and 2.) America's Backyard. From what I've heard, America's Backyard is a place where you can dance on the bar. Need I say more?! =) Just kidding. So, we get there and meet the guys from Friday. What do you think happens? O'Anna leaves me with them to go dance with men from Norway! Hahahahaha! Oh good grief! What do you do when your friend is macking on other dudes and her guy is staring at me for answers.
I don't know. So, I just start dancing. I kind of go around the circle that was starting to form around us so I didn't have to focus on one thing and face what was happening. I had fun! The pictures from that night are awesome! Can't wait to show them to you!
After Dicey's, we hit up America's Backyard. It was so cool! We walk in and I immediately hit the dance floor. It's what I love to do! I pretty much drag my "date" to dance with me. Getting a man to dance is like teaching a dog to meow! Doesn't happen. So, after him and I have been hanging out, talking, finally dancing, etc. I proceed to tell him that I will be his wingman. Really?! Really? Come on, Ashley.
Yup. I said, "You know, if you want to talk to other girl's, go ahead! I'll be your wingman!"
Him: "Uhhh..." blank stare on his face.
Me: "What? I'm just saying. If you want to talk to someone else, don't feel like you have to entertain me."
Yeah. Apparently it didn't hurt anything. We're still talking! So, they leave and we continue dancing. At this point of the night, my shirt is stuck to me because it's so hot outside. The bar is actually situated in an outside setting, so the heat and humidity, combined with loads of people is really warm! We got home around 4:00 a.m. So fun!
Sunday...not going to lie. I'm kind of glad it rained all day long. We didn't do a dang thing! Thank you, Jesus! We did go see "The Other Guys" later that night. The movie is hysterical! You have to go see it! Will Ferrell is so dang funny and Mark Walberg's dry sense of humor is a perfect match. Loved it!
Monday, she went home. Tear. It was so good to see her and I had such a great time! Last night, I stayed up until 2:00 a.m. working on my computer. I'm doing something special for my one-year blog! You guys are going to LOVE it! It's taking some time, so what I'm saying is I expect you to take the time on this day to read it! =)
Tuesday was a great day! Had some pretty great things happen today. Then I celebrated with a Brownie Batter Blizzard from DQ. =) Mmmm....
I'm going to be in bed by 11:00 p.m. today. That's my goal and I'm pretty adamant about sticking to it today.
Note to self: There is a place that you are to fill, that no one else can fill. Something only you are to do, that no one else can do.
What you are set to do in life, you will do. You will achieve what you truly want to achieve. Your hopes and dreams you set for yourself, will actually happen if you make it happen. Where you're suppose to end up, you will. Whoever you are to end up with, will come into your life when you least expect it.
When you fill your place in life, be proud of what you've become. Hard work, determination and drive sets you apart from those who are content with just being. Having a unique quality is hard to embrace sometimes. But when you do, you will sore! Everyone has a uniqueness and quirk to them. That's what makes people so interesting. Figure out your quirk, express it full-force and fill that place in life that was left for you to just be you.
Thanks grandma! ;)