Sunday, December 13, 2009

Day 98

December 12, 2009

Okay, so I'm starting my blog with exciting news! Maybe just to me, but oh well. Tonight, a few Steelers players come into work. I don't know who they are, so when I see a reservation under the name Willie, I  get excited--I'm thinking to myself, Oh my God, this is so funny. I get to call someone Mr. Willie! So, when a couple of the group members show up, I say, "Okay, party for Mr. Willie." I get the funny look. Then I seat them and they ask for a different table. I say, "I'm sorry, we don't have any. You'd have to wait about 30 to 45 minutes." They say the tables fine, so I leave.

Come to find out, it's not Mr. Willie. It's Willie Parker, the running back. Who would have thought? I got the vibe they were someone important. They were huge black dudes, (not to stereotype), that you knew weren't just body builders. I guess being raised around athletes, you can just tell when someone plays a certain sport.  Funny thing is, I'm as tall as he is! Haha! But he also has about seventy five pounds on me, literally. I looked up his stats! So, my friend's boyfriend is at the bar when he comes in, and he freaks out! Well, for Christmas, she bought a football for a couple of our regular NFL players to sign who come into the restaurant all the time. Well...as Kara likes to tell me, "Ashley, you have no shame. Will you ask for an autograph?" Sure, why not? I don't see the big deal, I think to myself.

Two of the members of the party head to the bar to check out some show on ESPN. I keep eyeballing them to get ones attention so I can ask for the autograph from their friend. I get the attention of a rather tall, rather muscular, I'd say, 6'3", tall man. I say, "I'm sorry to bother you, but my friend's boyfriend is a huge fan and would love to get some of the players' autographs. Do you think that would be a problem?" I smile, of course, thinking the whole time this guy's just a groupie! He says sure. Okay, so a while passes and they are all getting ready to leave. He tries to sneak by, but ha! I won't let him. I say, "Can you get him to sign?"

So, the gentlemen I spoke with got Willie Parker to sign the football, then he takes it and signs it. Okay, I think to myself, he must be a player too. Whatever. The more signatures the better, I guess. I get a look at the number he wrote next to his name. I come home, look him up, and guess who it is? Dennis Dixon, the backup QB! I'm so excited to be looking at the website right now! I call my brother immediately and tell him the good news! I actually talked to them! Pretty exciting!

Back to today. I did not get out of bed until...drum roll, please....one o'clock! Oh yes, call me lazy, I don't care! It's so nice to do nothing all morning. I've been working 14 hour days pretty much all this week. I'm not complaining, but relaxation is great! And tomorrow, I don't have to work, so it's going to be another great day of being a lazy bum! Next week is going to be ridiculously busy, so I need to catch up now!

I will say, I really enjoy the regulars that come into the restaurant. Seeing familiar faces in a city that's so big, on a daily basis, is really great. Especially, when they know your name! The lady from Sports New York came in tonight and she knows me on a first name basis. It's so nice because she is such a great woman and pleasant to talk to. It's comforting. Plus, the people that work at the restaurant are so nice; it gives you "warm fuzzies" to think about it. So, I know I sound a tad sentimental, but it's the holidays! You can't help it!

Note to self: Learn different cultures holiday traditions. Working in the restaurant industry, you see so much diversity. What do you say, "Happy Holidays?" "Happy Kwanzaa?" "Merry Christmas?" I have no idea. Do Asians celebrate Christmas? I think so, but I don't know. I don't want to say anything, then offend someone. I would be the one to say "Merry Christmas" to a bunch of Jewish people. Or, I'd be the one to say "Happy Thanksgiving" to people from the United Kingdom. So, stick with "Happy Holidays."