Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day 168 - Day 170

February 18 - February 20, 2010

I made it back to NYC. I am exhausted. I've been up since 3 a.m., and haven't slept hardly at all since being down in Boca Raton. I've officially decided I'm one of those people who does not make life easy. Oh no. And I don't know why. I don't intend to be this way. It just seems like everything I do ends up costing me (or pretty much my family) big--mainly financially. I'm over that! And you know the worst of it? I know it will happen again. Everyone makes mistakes--over and over. I just don't want to make anymore. I don't really consider what I've done in my life "mistakes" per say. Bad decisions? Maybe. And I know everyone says, including me, "everyone learns from their mistakes." True. But why does mine always cost me hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars? Good Lord, I wish I knew the answer! Or wish I would just win the lottery already! ;)

I actually heard a really great quote from Tiger Woods' speech today. I think he's a puke and the speech was ridiculous, but this quote caught me. He said he heard it from someone once. "It's not what you achieve in life that matters. It's what you overcome." It struck me pretty good today. Crap. If life is measured by this, I deserve a freakin' Oscar, or Emmy, or Pulitzer Prize! Yeah, okay, I'm completely over-dramatizing my life situation right now, but to me, it's a big deal. Moving on.

So, I know you're wondering why I went to Florida. Business, mainly. Then it turned into a few good times! I already made friends down there! The ocean was beautiful, of course! I love to just walk the beach and think. Or not think. Whatever. I always wonder, if only the ocean could talk. Can you even imagine what it would say? The stories it has? The secrets it holds? It's unreal.  I could sit out there all day and let my mind wander.

Boca at night is beautiful! The lights reflecting off the palm trees, the quaint restaurants and shopping. It's perfect. I could get used to it here. ;) Can I just tell you the mall has a Crate & Barrel, a Louis Vuitton, and a bebe? What more do you need in life? ;) Oh yeah, Nordstrom's, Macy's, Bloomingdales! Check out their website.

My last night in town, the girls that I'm staying with and I go out to dinner. It's Lent; therefore, I can't eat meat on Fridays. So, we decide on pizza! We go to this super local pizza place, which turns out to be amazing! And guess what? When I go back to Boca, I have a hot date! Whew hew! You bet! I even got us free dessert out of the deal! I'm instantly fitting in here. I'm not leaving! ;)

So, like I said, over the course of the week, things kept going wrong. I get to the airport this morning at 5:00 a.m. only to be confronted with this situation:
Lady: "Ma'am, can I help you?"
Me: "The computer says it can't find my itinerary."
Lady: Clicks away at her keyboard, "It says you are to be returning to New York March 20."
Me (thinking) blank stare: Huh?. No way. This can't be happening. Tears slowly start to form.
Me: "Okay."
Lady: Just stares at me. You know how friendly ticket agents are.
Me: "Well, is there another flight leaving today that I can get on?"
Lady: "The only flight is this morning and only First Class is left."
Me: "Which I'm assuming is going to cost me an arm and a leg."
Lady: "It's $849."
Me: "Excuse me? $849? No. I can't do that."
Lady: Shuffles me over to someone else.
Lady 2: "Ma'am, you booked this through Expedia. You're going to have to buy a whole new ticket because the remaining value on this ticket doesn't account for anything."
Me (thinking): Of course not. Why would it account for something? Just put me on the damn plane lady!
Me: "Wait. I have to get a whole ticket?! How much is that going to cost me?"
Lady: "$314."
Me (thinking): Holy shit! This is nuts! I get on the phone with my mom right away. (Of course!)

To finish quickly, I had to walk to another terminal and book through Jet Blue. It got me home the quickest because I had to be to work by 1 p.m. Nuts, I know. Jet Blue is awesome! It's my favorite! I think I told you this already, but I want to reiterate this point.  I got in to NYC, put my stuff in my apartment, talked to my leasing agent here in NYC, then trucked it to work. I'm just now getting home and have been awake for about 20 hours. I'm tired.

Florida Wrap-Up: Here are the answers to the questions, I'm assuming you're asking.


Why did I go down there? Three job interviews
Did you get one? Two 'most likely' job offers. One hell-to-the-no! ;)
Are you moving down there? Yup!
When? Depends. But in the near future.
Are you ready to leave NYC? I'm ready for a full-time job! You have to do, what you have to do! Plus, it's Florida! I've always seen myself here! It's fate! ;)

Note to self: When you start to doubt yourself and make unrationalized decisions, sleep it off. You can't make good decisions when you're tired, upset, and not in a good place. You need sleep. Turn off your phone. Turn off the television. Get the good nights rest you've been lacking the last week. Being up for now 21 hours is not good for your mind. Start over tomorrow when you are refreshed and can think clearly.

Good night!