Thursday, January 14, 2010

Day 132

January 13, 2010

Ten cent wings, baby! Oh yes! We head down to Alphabet City to a little dive bar, called Croxley's! I get there and as I'm standing there, waiting for the rest of my party to arrive, me and this rather attractive man catch each other's eyes. I smile, he smiles back and continues to stare. Do you think he talks to me? Nope. Just stares and smiles.

Do I have something on my face? Do I have something hanging from my nose? What's the deal? And why do you keep staring at me all night, but not talk to me? I have an old-fashioned sense of dating. The man approaches the woman! Unfortunately, here in the city, women are like hawks! They will fight tooth and nail to talk to a man! Maybe it's just me, but I can't do this. That's the man's job. Yeah, yeah it's 2010, but I don't care. You want to talk to me...those flirty little eyes aren't going to get you very far. Maybe a, "Hey, how are you?" approach would work much better!

Anyways...the wings are delicious! I get Honey BBQ, which by the way, are actually twenty cents per wing! They get you with the small print! Even still, four bucks for wings is well worth it! Then, I'm convinced to try this Blueberry beer. I'm not a beer girl, but this is good! I love blueberries and it has the perfect touch of fruitiness to it!

On the walk to Croxley's, I pass a restaurant called, "Mocando." It's ironic because prior to me getting my first internship here in the city at Joonbug, the editor there had me write a restaurant review. Guess what restaurant it was? Mocando! I walked passed it thinking, thanks to that place, I'm living in New York City! It was pretty cool! I'm walking along Houston, (pronounced house-ton), and the area is really cool. Then...I turn onto Avenue B. Hmm...slightly sketchy. I'm the only light-skinned, blondie walking down the street. I'm slightly nervous, but thank goodness I don't have far to go.

So, I have a funny story. The other day, Kara and I were working, when a very attractive, blonde hair man walks in. I have a thing for the blondies! He's dressed very professional and has a great presence to him. He says, "I'm sorry, but I have a really weird question to ask you ladies." Okay, it's New York, I bet it's not that bad, cute-patoot! He says, "My girlfriend and I broke up on Saturday, and I have two tickets to the Bahamas for Wednesday through Sunday and need someone to take the ticket." All I heard was, "blah, blah, broke up; blah, blah Bahamas; blah, blah, two tickets!" I'm thinking, no way! Kara and I can totally spend the weekend in the Bahamas for free! Well, his baby blues eyes had me slightly confused! He wanted one of us to go with HIM for the weekend! Yeah right, hot stuff! By the end of the trip, my body would be swimming with the fish! No, thanks! Tempting, but no can do Romeo!

Kara got his card, so we decided to be adventurous and text him like we were curious about going. He responds to Kara's text by saying, "Can you please tell me who you are again, because I kind of gave my information out to a lot of different people." Hahahaha! What a loser! Kara's response, "Sir, do you not have any FRIENDS that you can go on this trip with? Why are you going into random places, asking random girls, to go with you? That's weird." Ha! His response, "....." Nothing! Weirdo! Such a waste of a cute face!

So, lately, I've really had the urge to adopt a dog! It's New York City that's getting to me! I want a little fury friend to come home to everyday! If I could afford it, I would totally get one! What kind, you ask? Anything that is fluffy, five pounds, and either white or tan! I would love, love, love a malti-poo or a dog like Fran Drescher's dog, Esther! Look at it here! I joined the ASPCA website newsletter, so I receive daily updates about what's going on in pet land. It breaks my heart seeing all of the bad things. I just want to save one!

Note to self: "Tough times never last, but tough people do." -Robert Schuller
No matter how tough times get in your life, you really need to appreciate where you are. So many people would love to be in your shoes, so don't take it for granted. Although life may not be going quite like you wanted it, it's going the way it's suppose to. You have been given such a great opportunity in a city where dreams are endless. When people tell you, "I would never have the guts to just up and move like you did, with knowing no one," take that in and really think about how strong of a person you really are. Sure, everyone has moments of weakness, but it's those weak times that make you the great person you are meant to be. Certain situations in your life happen for a reason--to test you, to teach you, to get you thinking. So, as much as you want to cry at your life right now, always remember, things could be so much worse. Thank God you are alive, healthy, have a great family and set of friends. A lot of people can not say this. You are more lucky than you're giving your life credit for!