October 16, 2009
Forty days?! Holy cow, I can't believe it! It's a good fortieth day here in New York City! The morning air is brisk and the clouds are hovering over the sun. But it's a great walk to work--it wakes me up and gets me energized for my long day. I meet two other people from Iowa while working for David Yurman. One is from Cedar Rapids, the other from Victor. Small world, huh?
Even smaller, a Yurman shopper that knows the one and only, best department store in the world! She says to her husband, "I saw this necklace at Von Maur."
Me: "I'm sorry. Where did you say you found this?"
Lady: "Von Maur. It's a store in the Midwest."
Me: "That's what I thought you said! I know Von Maur! I'm from Iowa! Is it not the best place ever?! There is no place here like it! It's my all-time favorite!"
Lady: "Oh I know! I love it! 'I love this girl!' (she says to her husband). I know she'll find me something good. I know where she shops and she knows where I shop!"
And the rumors are true, everyone...they do sell Louis Vuitton! So jealous! Although I'm not a huge LV fan, the more I'm around them, the more I am craving one! Not the traditional monogram one--everyone has those! I love to be different! If you're going to spend $2,000+ on a handbag, why do you want the same one as thousands of other people in the world? Check the ones out I would love to have! Petit Noe, Le Majestueux,and Le Radieux. Classic, but detailed.
Besides Mrs. Von Maur, there is another lady who is so much fun! She tells me, "My boyfriend thinks I'm shopping for yogurt." I reply, "Well, this sure is some expensive yogurt!" I work with her for an hour and a half! She is willing to try on everything, so I go wild with it! She tells me my parents should be proud because I'm a great salesperson. Funny thing is, I hate sales! I am one of those people who brush off salespeople in the stores because I do not like to be bothered, nor do I like to be annoyed with stupid questions and unnecessary things. (Such as someone trying to sell another VISA cards. ;) Ha!) I have become what I don't like. Funny how life works out, huh? =)
When she goes to check out, guess how much her bill is? Just think of a number...any number. She has $33,400 worth of jewelry! I think to myself, Holy God! I can't believe I got this lady to buy this much jewelry! But...she was NOT about ready to pay for all that. She cut herself down to only $3,000 worth of jewelry. I did help her with the cut backs. I mean after-all, she did offer me a job! That's right! I talked enough to where we got on the subject of school and work--when I tell her what I'm doing out here, she offers a job and says, I know I'll pay you a hell of a lot more than what you're probably making here. Okay! Sign me up!
So, I pretend to be Dr. Phil tonight when I'm talking to a bestie back home in Iowa. She is having boy problems, so I give her, what I find to be, an excellent analogy. I tell her, men are on a one-way road and if you're not in a straight-shot sight, forget about it. Men don't have peripheral vision, so if you're not about ready to be ran over in his car on this straight-shot road, don't expect him to remember, or take you into consideration on certain issues. It might sound dumb, but I like it! ;) And it's true!
Note to self: Learn patience from those around you. Take lessons from the daughter buying jewelry for her mother. As you listen to her talk to her mom on the phone, take note that although the mom is clinically insane and can't make up her mind, the daughter's voice never once raises, nor does she get an irritated attitude like someone you know. When she says, "Mom, don't get heart palpitations over this; it's only a necklace," just laugh along with her. Realize that even though the daughter wants to reach through the phone and strangle her mom that you're now getting annoyed with, she remains calm and the issue is resolved--it only takes 45 minutes! I don't know about you, but yes, patience is a virtue; however, after 45 minutes, patience starts to become more of a vice. I apologize to the folks ahead of time...I'm learning patience, but things take time! ;)